San Diego AALAS
SDAALAS is the San Diego branch of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, a group dedicated to advancing responsible laboratory animal care and use to benefit both the animals and people.
Established in 1966
In 1966, a group of dedicated individuals from the Salk Institute, UCSD, and Scripps formed the San Diego branch of AALAS. Wesley Hendricks of UCSD was the first Branch President.
The SDAALAS Branch was instrumental in initiating a training program for animal technicians at San Diego City College. At this time the Animal Technician Certification Program, established in 1961, was developed, administered, and graded by branches of AALAS. Some of our existing members were involved in this testing which gradually became a central AALAS office function.
San Diego hosted its first District 8 meeting in 1975, the venue being Vacation Village on Mission Bay. This was followed in 1986 where the venue for the second District 8 meeting was the Holiday Inn Embarcadero. Our most recent District 8 meeting took place in 2007 at the Scottish Rite Center. All of our District meetings have been hugely successful and well attended events attracting technicians Throughout the district
The American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) is a membership association of professionals employed across the country in academia, government, and private industry who are dedicated to the humane care and treatment of laboratory animals, as well as the quality research that leads to scientific gains that benefit people and animals.
AALAS provides educational materials to laboratory animal care professionals and researchers, administers certification programs for laboratory animal technicians and managers, publishes scholarly journals, supports laboratory animal science research, and serves as the premier forum for the exchange of information and expertise in the care and use of laboratory animals.
The Code of Ethics for members of AALAS has been adopted by the Board of Trustees to promote and maintain the highest standards of professional and personal conduct among its members. Adherence to these standards is required for membership in the Association and serves to assure public confidence in the integrity and service of AALAS members.
- Maintain the highest standard of personal conduct.
- Promote and encourage the highest level of ethics within the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Maintain loyalty to the profession of laboratory animal science and pursue its objective in ways that are consistent with the public interest.
- Recognize and discharge my responsibility and that of my position to uphold all laws and regulations relating to the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Strive for excellence in all aspects of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Use only legal and ethical means in all professional activities.
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged information entrusted or known to me by virtue of my position.
- Refuse to engage in, or countenance, activities for personal gain at the expense of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Always communicate associated internal and external statements in a truthful and accurate manner.
- Cooperate in every reasonable and proper way with others and work with them in the advancement of the profession of laboratory animal science.
- Use every opportunity to improve public understanding of the role of the profession of laboratory animal science.